Hello and welcome to episode 62 of The Spark & The Art creativity podcast. We alternate weekly between short insight and inspiration episodes and interviews where we speak with creative from all levels of their careers and a many different creative industries.
This week is an interview with New York Times best selling author Sean Williams who has written over 40 novels in his career. Yes, forty - four zero. I found Sean after he sent an email through the email lottery system The ListServe. It’s a fun thing that randomly chooses one of the list members to write an email to the other 20,000 or so subscribers. His message was about how he shares his name with other people around the world. His name is Sean and he has an obsession with names. How could I not talk to him.
We talk about how he got to the point where he could write four novels in a year, how short stories helped him start writing and even now after such a long career as a novelist how his short stories still help him. We talk about why he still uses the traditional publishing system rather than self-publishing. We talk about his Twin Maker series of books plus there is some discussion about Star Wars (he’s written 6 Star Wars novels) and whether it’s Sci-Fi or not and we finish off with some music he composed because he just likes making music.
I love talking with creative people and today’s talk was no exception. I hope you enjoy listening to Sean talk about writing and the creative process as much as I did. So here is today’s chat with Sean Williams.
Do you aspire to becoming a published writer? Could you write stories in other peoples worlds like Sean did with Dr. Who and Star Wars? Let me know on twitter @sh_tucker. Also, I’ve realized it’s been a while since I’ve mentioned my toll-free number so here’s a reminder - You can leave a voicemail at 1-877-966-4886 I accept questions, comments, constructive criticism and animal impressions at that number so give it a call. I’d love to hear from you.
If today’s chat made you think of someone you know who is looking to become a published writer please share this episode with them. I would hope they would get at least one thing from it to help them on their journey. The easiest way to share it with them is to send them the URL TheSparkAndTheArt.com/62
Thanks for listening and remember, you won’t get the art without the work and you won’t do the work without the spark.
Links for this episode
- Sean Williams (Novelist, today’s guest) - http://seanwilliams.com
- Sean Williams (Ethnomusicologist) - http://seanwilliams.org
- National Novel Writing Month - http://nanowrimo.org
- Dr. Who - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
- Wookiepedia - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
- Twinmakers - http://twinmakerbooks.com
- Shaun Tan - http://www.shauntan.net/
- The Arrival - http://www.shauntan.net/books/the-arrival.html
- Steve Roach - http://www.steveroach.com/
- PD James - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._D._James
- Children Of Men - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Men
- Anne McCaffrey - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_McCaffrey