Hello and welcome to The Spark & The Art creativity podcast. I’m your host, Tucker and this week is an interview episode. I interview creative folks from all career levels and creative disciplines about what it takes to get creative projects started and finished and all the work in between.
In today’s episode we talk to graphic designer and comic artist Ben Rankel. We talk about the need creatives feel to justify their work and themselves to others. The importance of doing a lot of work but also the importance of knowing what it takes to get better over time. Ben is a bit of a swearer and asked that his swears be covered up by the sound of a Chocobo Kweh. Unfortunately I could only find the sound of a Chocobo Wark. So hopefully he doesn’t mind.
There is lots of great stuff in today's chat so I’m sure you’ll get a nugget or two out of today’s talk with Ben Rankel.
Do you, or someone you know, seem to justify their creative work and always caveats it with an explanation of what your job actually is about? I’d love to talk to you about it. You can get me on twitter @sh_tucker
Thanks for listening and remember, you won’t get the art without the work and you won’t do the work without the spark.
Links for this episode
- Ben Rankel - http://benrankel.com/
- Archie - http://archiecomics.com/tag/fiona-staples/
- Saga - https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/saga
- Angoulême International Comics Festival - http://www.bdangouleme.com/
- Ira Glass Speech - https://vimeo.com/85040589
- Sidney York - http://sidneyyork.com/
- Kurtis Wiebe - http://kurtiswiebe.com/
- Alberta College of Art and Design - http://www.acad.ca/